Friday, October 21, 2011

General Conference Weekend!

Yes, I know that I'm about 2 weeks late on general conference, but that's what happens when you live out bush.  We finally got to watch it this weekend and it was amazing.  It seemed like half of the speakers were speaking regarding return missionaries or just missionaries in general.  It was potentially one of the best conferences ever.  We had 3 investigators come along to it as well!  And Norita even came to both Sunday sessions!  I've never had an investigator come for two sessions of conference.  Usually they just find it too boring so they're not really interested in coming for more.  But Brother Otto asked her if she wanted to come back for the afternoon session and she was more than willing.  She just wanted to take her kids home first.  Sunday morning session of conference was the best possible one for investigators to be at.  Especially Elder Callister's talk on the Book of Mormon.  Speaking of Book of Mormon, we got our October Ensigns this week as well and how cool is that??  Special edition all on the Book of Mormon.  Love it!  I thought that it was really cool seeing someone speak in conference who I've had the chance to have a personal interview with.  I always remember that interview with a General Authority.  What a special opportunity that was.  It seems like it was only a couple of months ago but that was all the way back in January or February.  Time just goes too fast on the mission, I'll tell you that much.  It's still not possible that I'm going to be home in 26 days.  26 days...??  

Anyways, conference was definitely the highlight of this week.  We were looking forward to it all week,  so it was pretty much our topic of conversation and all that was on our minds.  It was good though, kept us busy.  Invited absolutely everybody that we possibly could.  We could've had probably 6 investigators come, but the other 3 used their agency to choose not to come.  Bummer when that happens.  The 3 that did come though, (Marion, Norita, and Carlo), were all uplifted and really enjoyed it... I hope.  They said they did anyways.  I reckon we're probably going to try to set a baptismal date with Norita this week!  She loves coming to church, she's really been getting into the Book of Mormon.  We just need to get her to pray so that the spirit can testify to her of the truth of everything that she's learned so far.  If it's not by the spirit, it's not God's way.  

On a slightly sadder note, and I don't usually like to talk about the sad news, but we're going to be attending a funeral on the 29th of October.  It's for this 15 year old girl who is the niece of one of our less active members, Revis.  Revis has been coming to church for awhile now and he brought his niece a couple of times.  I don't really want to get into the details of what happened, but we pretty much know the entire extended family by our close association with the aboriginals in town and they've asked us if they can have the funeral services at the chapel.  I never thought that the first funeral I would ever go to would be on my mission.  She was a nice girl too.  It's pretty sad.  So I've been keeping Revis and his family in my prayers.  I sometimes ask myself, what could I have done more, but I know that the Saviour has done it all for us so that we don't have to.

Well I hope you all enjoy these last few weeks before my homecoming.  I'll see you all soon!

Much Love,
Elder Tanner

No comments:

Post a Comment